Delicious Creamy Salad combined with toasted seeds and sweet apple flavour. One of my favourites so far. Can be placed on a bed of quinoa for light eating or brown rice for a heavier meal.
Recipe: Vegan Creamy Coleslaw
½ medium to large peeled celariac
Handful of sunflower seeds or sesame sesame seeds
2 organic apples
OPTIONAL – 50g parsley, Sweet Peppers (extra layer of goodness)
120g of Cashew Nuts Soaked overnight
2 tsp mustard powder
1 Cup of purified water
4 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp pink salt
2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- Grate the celeriac and apple into a large bowl with a hand grater. Lightly pan toast the seeds and leave to the side to be added in once dressing is made and combined with grated mix.
- Dressing: Drain water from Cashew nuts. Add nuts, oil, garlic, salt & water to an electric mixer. Blend to a smooth consistency, ensuring all nuts are pureed. Add dressing to large bowl and mix well letting sit for 30 – 60 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Decoration – Sprinkle with some curry powder over the top and use some colourful vegetable
- OPTION 2: Chop finely parsley, and sweet pepper into half circles and add to the mix. This adds diuretic potency and iron content.
- Uric Acid Build up, Kidney Health, very high in vit C, Zinc, Calcium and an array of B vitamins.
- Celariac, is also known as ugly fruit. It is of the carrot family and very high in vit k, an important mineral for bone health. It is a good source of sodium, like celery and is an important food for removing uric acid build up in the body which is implicated in arthritis and gout. It also has high iron content as does parsley so this salad should be a go to for those with anaemia. Both Celariac & parsley are powerful diuretics with the ability of cleaning out kidney stones. Parsley is also very high in iron and calcium. Caution should be taken with Chronic Kidney Disease because of high potassium content.
- Cashew Nuts are high in saturated fat in comparison to almonds or walnuts. They are not really raw as they need to be boiled and then dried in the labour-intensive harvesting process so as to remove poisonous oil surrounding the seed. Still they are an excellent food for those with nervous tension or any condition affecting the nervous system due the healthy fats, zinc and magnesium. Walnuts are my go to nut ordinarily but for a creamy salad dressing, cashews do it best.