Anti-viral, Antibacterial, Improves Cognitive function, Decreases Cholesterol, Anti-Tumour properties.
Brain Proof Coffee
1 tsp instant Coffee or ground fresh coffee
½ tsp Reishi Mushroom Powder
½ Cup of favourite Plant Milk
1tsp xylitol or coconut sugar
- OPTION 1 – If making percolated coffee just add mushroom powder with the coffee and let brew for a little longer than usual. Add honey and milk to taste.
- OPTION 2 – Recommended – Add instant coffee and mushroom powder to stainless steel pot with a cup of water. Bring to the boil and let simmer for minimum 30mins and up to 1hour. This helps get the most medicinal benefits from your mushrooms. The water will evaporate down to half. Top up again with plant milk and continue to heat for an additional 5mins. As reishi is bitter you may want to add sweetener to taste.
Mushrooms contain a substance called chitin. Whole mushroom powder needs to be extracted via, alcohol and/or heat to get the medicinal benefits or slow cooked by adding it to porridge, soups or stews for best practise. Mushroom powder labelled extract (lions mane extract) can be added without further processing or cooking and contains concentrated medicinal properties.
- Caffeine is a natural stimulant which improves cognitive function and alertness. Coffee should be limited to 1 a day and before midday. Those who are sensitive to caffeine can replace the coffee with cocoa for a mocha.
- Reishi is an amphoteric herb. This means it’s an immune modulator. This means it’s appropriate for those with weakened immune system and overactive immune system such as people presenting with auto immune symptoms[ii]. Chronic conditions affect mental health.
- Medicinal mushrooms have been approved adjuncts to standard cancer treatments in Japan and China for more than 30 years and have an extensive clinical history of safe use as single agents or combined with chemotherapy[iii].
- Lions Mane has Neurotrophic factors. Several studies have shown Lions Mane to stimulate the production of Nerve Growth Factor. NGF helps to enhance overall cognitive function[iv].